Sunday, October 5, 2014

Day 5:: The Grocery Store Checker

I wasn't sure I was going to make it!  It was about a quarter till midnight and my Dad was craving some snacks.  He was in the hospital again and losing his appetite, so any opportunity for him to eat was taken with great importance.  "Heading home from the hospital?" the grocery checker asked me.  "No, I'm grabbing these snacks and heading back there.  My Dad has leukemia," I replied to his question.  "I'm so sorry.  I just lost my Grandmother to leukemia a few months ago," he said.  "I'm sorry to hear about your Grandmother, but please don't be sorry for me.  I believe in a good God, and this is all part of His plan," I said assuredly. 

This is how the conversation began.  He told me about his Grandmother.  I told him about how Christ was working in our lives through the illness.  He asked me about my church.  I shared with him how I was raised Catholic and was invited to a church where we were encouraged to read the Bible.  He mentioned that some friends had been sharing with him about what it means to be born again.  Then the transaction ended and I grabbed my groceries.  I was the last customer and the doors had been locked, so he walked me to the doors.  As I exited the store, I felt compelled to ask him if he wanted to ask Christ into his life.  And right there, at the door of a Food For Less grocery store, he asked Jesus Christ to be his personal Lord and Savior.  It was a 12 minute interaction.

Food 4 Less Vallejo Storefront
Photo Credit


Looking back, I can see that this was completely the work of God.  The seeds were planted as others had been sharing with him already.  It was clearly evident that the Lord led my conversation and  I still feel so blessed and privileged that I got to be the one to lead him in that prayer.  I was mutually reassured of the purpose that God had for our family to go through such a difficult time.

For in this the saying is true: "One sows and another reaps."  I sent you to reap that for which you have not labored; others have labored, and you have entered into their labors.
John 4:37-38 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment