Thursday, November 10, 2011

When It's Just Not Your Time Yet...

I knew he didn't look well on that Monday.  But with my husband leaving on a business trip, me preparing for women's study and attempting to school my daughter, there was no time to coax him into going to the emergency room.  Deep down inside, I suppose I was hoping that there was nothing to be concerned about.  He had been having a pressure headache but I would see him that evening because I would be staying the night with them until my husband was back from his trip on Wednesday.

My father's bone marrow has been through so much over the last couple of years.  Bone marrow is what produces healthy white blood cells, red blood cells and platelets.  The platelets are the component of the blood that causes coagulation.  In the absence of platelets, severe bleeding can occur in any part of the body that has had even a blood vessel burst.  Up until this point, he had been receiving a blood and platelet transfusion once a week to avoid bleeding.  Little did we know that it hasn't been enough, and that pressure headache was caused by hemorrhaging on the right and left side of his brain.

The neurosurgeon's plan was to drill a hole on both sides of his skull to drain the blood.  Unfortunately, or fortunately (for God knows what is best), they were not able to keep the platelets high enough for surgery. A week later he was released from the hospital.  The report from the neurosurgeon this week is that there is not much pressure on the brain at this point, although he is having a little trouble walking.  His platelet transfusion has been increased from one time a week to two with 2 units of platelets at each transfusion.

It just wasn't his time yet.  God is not done with him here.

Psalm 139:16...Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed.  And in Your book they all were written, the days fashioned for me, when as yet there were none of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment