Friday, February 18, 2011

Bringing Her Food From Afar...Shrimp Ceviche

Ceviche is most popular in Central and South America. It is typically made by taking raw fish and marinating it in the juices of limes and lemons.  I have even heard of one recipe that marinates ground beef in the citrus juices.  That recipe I need to try first before I can endorse it here. 

You can find this particular shrimp recipe at one of my Mother's fine dinners.  I actually tweaked it a little to make it friendly for my kids to enjoy.  But it was a hit. 



Shrimp Ceviche (Serves 6)

1  pound medium-small shrimp cut in half (I buy     them pre-cooked to cut out the cooking time)
2 Tbsp salt
Juice from 4-6 limes or 2-3 lemons
1 cup finely chopped red onion
1 serrano chile, ribs and seeds removed, minced (I didn't use the chile this particular time)
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
1 avocado, peeled, seed removed, and chopped
1 squirt of ketchup




I just added all the ingredients together and served it into the glasses with a slotted spoon.  And garnished them with cilantro.  For added flavor, the shrimp can be marinated in the citrus juices for an hour in the refrigerator before being added to all the ingredients. 

No comments:

Post a Comment