Sunday, November 21, 2010

Busting at the Seams!

Have you ever planned an event and had it go even better than what you had ever hoped for?  As I reflect upon the events of this evening, my heart is just filled with thankfulness to God.  More than filled, I think my heart is busting at the seams!  We celebrated my father's birthday with an intimate group of family and friends.  I wanted my father to be showered with love, so I had a couple of ideas up my sleeve.  I asked my nieces, nephews and my kids, who range from ages 2-14, to write a little something about why they love their Papa.  Also, with the help of a wonderful friend, I put together a slide show of pictures ranging from his teenager years to the present. 

The kids were nervous, not quite understanding what I was asking them to do.  They panicked when they finally gathered that they were going to be speaking in front of all the adults at the party.  I pulled them all together and had them practice what they were going to say out loud.  I then reminded them about what the bible says, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."  We prayed together and then went back out to the party. 

The kids did really great.  It was so touching to hear each of them talk about their love for their Papa.  It was also fun to look at all the memories of our time together over the last several years with my family.  Then a good friend of my parents went up and shared a scripture with my father that the Lord had put on her heart.  It was precious to hear the encouragement that came from one who loves my family and loves the Lord.  Best of all, was that we were able to recognize someone that means so much to us on this special occasion.  Too often I am deluged with my own cares and concerns, and I don't take the time to look around at those around me that do so much for me.  This is a memory that I will treasure in my heart.

Some of the friends and family that were in attendance do not know the Lord.  My prayer is that through the love showered upon my father, they would see Christ for themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment