Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Where's the Beef?

And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.  Phil. 4:19
We have all done it one time or another.  We overspend in one area and we suffer the consequences in another.  For my family, it was a vacation.  It had been four years since we had visited my husband's family two states away, and being the loving, generous man that he is,we insisted on picking up the tab several times during the week.  Needless to say, it left for some creative grocery shopping for me now that we are back.
I hit the grocery store, carefully planning how I would fit all the items I needed into the small budget.  At the checkout of the first store, I could hardly suppress the apprehension that was coming over me as I saw how little was left to buy meat.  As I was thinking about what store I would go to next, the cashier to told me about a woman who had purchased $145 worth of meat for $35.  She insisted on looking after my cart while I went back to the meat section.  Apparently the meat department had overstocked and they needed to clear the meat before the dates stamped on the packages.  I came home with 12 packages of ground turkey, 6 whole chickens and 4 top sirloin steaks...all under $20!

The man in the meat department explained the sale as a fluke.  I explained the sale as a divine oversight.  This afforded me the opporutunity to share about Christ's love and His provision for us with him.  Weeks ago, when meat orders were being placed the Lord knew that this day would come and He knew the needs that my family would have.  "Wouldn't you like to get to know this God who loves you and is concerned about your every need?"  I asked him.  Then I encouraged him to know Christ through taking time to read a chapter a day in the book of John.

No comments:

Post a Comment