Monday, March 21, 2011

Overcoming the World - Rhema Marvanne


These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace.  In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world...John 16:33
I remember feeling the heat of the the long summer days as my sister and I chased butterflies in our backyard.  My Mother would call us in from outside to wash up for dinner and we raced to the front door as we heard my Father's keys unlocking the door.  We couldn't wait to kiss his cheek and ask him how his day went.  Then we would all gather into the kitchen and enjoy the delicious meal that my Mother had prepared.  Things were so simple then.  The world seemed so wonderful in those days.  If you had told me that there would be tribulation, I would not have understood the meaning of that word. 

Now that I am an adult, I have a better understanding of what the word tribulation means.  Not only can I define it, but I could relate to you the heaviness that the human heart endures during the process of tribulation.  I also understand that children are not exempt from tribulation, and that by God's grace, I did not suffer through hardship in my childhood. 

The good news is that through Jesus, we could have peace and joy in the midst of difficulty and pain.  By putting our trust in Him and believing that He has a plan for our lives despite the loss we have endured.  God's word has so much to say about this topic and we find comfort in familiarizing ourselves with the different examples.  I recently stumbled upon an 8 year old girl who lost her mother to ovarian cancer.  Rhema Marvanne has an extraordinary singing voice and she uses it to encourage others to trust in the Lord in their difficulties. 


Lord Jesus, thank You that You have overcome the world and that we have peace despite our pain and suffering.  Please continue to use Rhema mightily for Your kingdom.  Just like Rhema, help us to see that we could have joy and peace in the midst of tribulation.  We pray that You would continue to bring Your peace to the people of Japan. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Christy, I thought I'd see how I can pray for you when I starting reading your blog, but instead I was the one feeling encouraged and challenged by your faith. So thanks. I'm praying for you and your family. Hang in there. Love, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete