Sunday, January 23, 2011

Bringing Her Food From Afar...Mexico

When my husband and I first got married, I was enthusiastic to be the kind of wife that would make some healthy and delicious meals.  My first endeavor was to remove all signs of refined foods and replace them with hardier ones.  I was fully committed, I bought a 25 pound bag of brown rice.  With one taste of that rice, he made me give it away to all of our friends.  Failure!

With nearly 7 years under my belt, I now know what it takes to sneak healthy food into my husband's belly.  I can't skimp on the flavor.  And now, with two little ones, I have even more of a motivation to eat well.  My family often asks for seconds. 


This is my recipe for Spanish Brown Rice:

2 C       Brown rice
3 C       Chicken broth
1/4 C    Chopped onion
1 clove Garlic minced
1 Tbsp  Butter
1/2 C    Tomato sauce
            Salt to taste

Lightly brown the rice in a frying pan with vegetable oil on medium heat with onion and garlic, add butter, chicken broth, and tomato sauce.  Add salt until the broth is just a little too salty.  Bring to a boil then cover and reduce to low heat.  Simmer for 20 minutes or until fully cooked.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Christy,

    I'm really enjoying going through your recipes now. I read about your father yesterday, and today I'm so impressed with your recipes. The 1st I'm going to try is the Spanish brown rice, them parmesan chicken. Thanks for sharing!

    ~ Roxana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Roxana. I'm still learning a lot about cooking but I really enjoy it. It's like a hobby for me and my husband loves it. I do get into ruts sometimes though.

    ReplyDelete