Monday, January 10, 2011

A Little Extra Fabric



At the end of a bolt of fabric the sales associate will always ask you if you would like to buy the rest of it at a discounted price.  It's usually less than a yard.  With this particular fabric, the woman told me that I had enough to make a pillow to coordinate with the curtains that I was planning to make.  At the time, I couldn't think past the curtains, but I ended up buying it anyways. 

Now that I had completed my curtains, I was itching to do something else.  Lately, I have been sitting in the middle of my living room thinking about what project I am going to do next.  That's when that little ottoman caught my attention.  I have always wanted to reupholster something, so I starting taking it apart.  What I discovered was that there is not much to it.  I removed all the hardware, pulled out the legs and matched up my decor fabric to the fabric that was on there. 
I pulled the fabric tightly over the top part of the ottoman and stapled the center first and then worked to the corners.  It was much like wrapping a gift.  This ottoman had buttons on the top, which I recovered and then put them back into place with a curved needle.  Once the buttons were in place, I pulled them underneath tightly and secured them with the staple gun.  This is what creates the tufted look.  Next, I stapled down all the black lining and replaced the legs and hardware. 




4 comments:

  1. I LOVE this! Its FAB!!! Come on 'ova and share this at my Linky Par-Tay!

    *ENTER LINKY PAR-TAY Here! *

    xoxokara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I've always wanted to try something tufted, but thought it was too hard. Maybe it's not :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was shocked when I took the thing apart and saw how easy it was to do the tufting. All you need is an upholstery needle and you're pulling the string through a hole and stapling the string to the back of a piece of wood. I wish I would've taken pictures now to show you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this ottoman! The fabric on it and the curtains is sooo appealing.

    ReplyDelete