Saturday, January 29, 2011

Bringing Her Food From Afar...Thailand

Eating out is always an occasion for indulging in an entree that I have never had.  Because I have never been a finicky eater, I tend to be adventurous in my ordering.  I savor the pungency, the sweetness, the spiciness, the bitterness and the saltiness of the new fare I am attempting.  Afterward, I come home and I find it a challenge to reproduce the same recipe. 

The first time I had Red Curry, I fell in love.  It was spicy and sweet and something I never thought I could recreate on my own.  In fact, when I would ask Thai people if they could give me a recipe, they all looked at me strangely.  The reason they were looking at me this way is because it is really quite simple to make:

Red Curry Recipe (Serves 6)

2 Tbsp    Red curry paste (Found at the Asian food market, I use the Mae Ploy brand in the photo above)
2 Tbsp    Vegetable oil
2 Cans    Coconut milk
2 Tbsp    Sugar
1 1/2lbs   Meat (chicken, beef, pork, shrimp, tofu)
2 C         Vegetables of your choice sliced (onion, bell pepper, zucchini, etc.)

On medium heat, saute red curry paste in oil for 1 minute, add 1 can of coconut milk.  Add another can of coconut milk and heat until boiling.  Add meat and continue cooking until meat is nearly done, then add vegetables and sugar.  Cook until vegetables soften and serve with Jasmine rice. 
***Red curry paste is very spicy, for a milder flavor use half the portion***

No comments:

Post a Comment