Friday, October 10, 2014

Day 10:: Only A Vapor


Stuck In Traffic At Night Car stuck in traffic on a3 at

There was a ton of traffic that night.  My brother had picked me up from my house and we were running against the clock to make it to the hospital before the doctor came in to talk to my father.  The cars inched forward in slow motion as the minutes on the clocked ticked quickly by.  When we had finally made it to the hospital, we ran through the halls in search of his room.  Dr. Chen was already finishing up his conversation with my parents.  It was not necessary for him to repeat his prognosis, I could see it all over my sister's face.  It was terminal.  He predicted 3-4 weeks without treatment. 

Indeed, You have made my days as handbreadths,
And my age is as nothing before You;
Certainly every man at his best state is but vapor. Selah
Psalm 39:5

I have heard it said that death is the only certainty in life, and the reality is that not one of us knows when that time will come.  I don't bring up this topic to be a downer or to instill an irrational fear into the reader, but to bring up the fact that we do not know how long we will have the privilege of abiding with those in our lives. What are those important things that we need to say to one another?  Do they hold an eternal weight of glory 2Cor4:17?  Do they hold the keys to the door of eternity?  

"You have the words of eternal life," Peter said in John 6:68.  Let us entreat our Lord in how we are to reach out to those around us. 

My Dad lived 2 years and 2 months from the time of his diagnosis.  We were blessed to have many conversations with him about what would happen when we passed into the realm of eternity.  We are confident that he gave his life to Christ, and look forward to seeing him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment