Thursday, October 2, 2014

Day 2:: One Plants, One Waters...




I used to think that the whole measure of a person's salvation rested on what I was going to say to them at that moment...on that street corner, park bench, Starbuck's line...and what their response would be.  I had built the process up so considerably in my head, that I infused a great deal of fear into something that was not mine to worry about.  My role was merely to share.

 Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.
 Mark 16:15

Freedom from those fears came when I realized that I am not responsible for the eternal salvation of another.  Or even any measure of eloquence or persuasiveness for that matter.  I am to be obedient to the call to share the Good News and put the rest in God's hands.  It really has little to do with me, and it has everything to do with what He will do in their lives.  Of course we do want to be sensitive, prayerful, and loving in what we say to others about Christ, but our focus alters from what "I can do" to what "He does".

So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase.
1 Corinthians 3:7

Oftentimes, there is a progression of  faith in an individual's life which comes from a series of experiences, conversations or just plain observation of God's work within one's surroundings.  In fact, I have heard it said that it takes between 7-15 times for a person to hear the gospel before they make a decision to follow Christ.  Our willingness to share, could be the one proverbial seed or watering that a person needs to have their spiritual eyes opened. 

What is the kingdom of God like? And to what shall I compare it?  It is like a mustard seed, which a man took and put in his garden; and it grew and became a large tree, and the birds of the air nested in its branches.
Luke 13:18-19

No comments:

Post a Comment